Pages

Thursday, February 5, 2015

A Preschooler's Spring Birthday Party!

My three year old turned four this week, and every time one of my children's birthdays draws closer I begin to get a bit of anxiety over what "kind" of birthday we're going to give.  I don't know about you, but I honestly think the whole kids' birthday industry has gotten WAY out of control.  When my oldest was little, a very expensive party - at a place with helpers, cake, goodie bags, etc. - cost about $200.  Now a party like that costs $400-500!!!  Seriously, we parents need to examine our heads.

If you have a preschooler and the time of year is right, you can always have a park playdate birthday party with some preschool friends.  The great thing about this, is you won't have to pay to reserve a park pavilion if you do it on a weekday.  Since most preschoolers are only in school a few days of the week, choose to have the party on the day they are all out of school.  Moms might really thank you as it gives the kids something to do to burn up all that extra energy on their day off!  Remember that archaic and always now overlooked rule of only inviting the same number of kids that your child is turning?  (For example, a three year old should invite three or four children.)  This helps them not get over-stimulated, over-tired, and then start to cry or fight.

BURNING THAT ENERGY!
And what about those darn "goodie bags"?  I swear those have stressed me out a few times over the years!  What to give?  Will it be meaningful?  Will the kids actually like it?  Will it just be candy from a piƱata?  Will it, please God, not cost another small fortune on top of what I'm already spending for the party?  I swear, some years, it has felt like adding insult to injury!  Well, this year, I headed to my local dollar store determined to not spend a fortune on them, but make them really cute.

I walked past all the Valentine's decorations and St. Patrick's Day decorations and made my way to a new shipment of some early summer toys.  I spotted some purple sparkly beach buckets with pink shovels attached.  Hmmmm…..

PURPLE! PINK! SPARKLY! BINGO!!!

I immediately imagined the girls' names painted on the front and remembered I had some paint pens I had saved from my son's party two years ago.  Yeehawwww!!!

Then I spotted a purple and pink pinwheel… and … purple butterfly wand glow sticks!  Aha! I was on to something.

PURPLE, PINK, AND SPINNY!!! YES, YES, YES!

OKAY, PURPLE, BUTTERFLIES, AND GLOWS!  OOOOOOOOOOOHHH

Digging around some more, I found bubbles that came in purple butterfly shaped containers, preschool-friendly candy, and party whistles (with a butterfly decoration on them).

SERIOUSLY, HOW CUTE ARE THESE???

I got lucky, but honestly, just look around for things you think kids will actually play with.  Here are all the items all laid out:

LOOKS LIKE BUCKETS OF FUN!

Additional ideas for a summer or spring beach bucket?  You could add sidewalk chalk, cheap jewelry, Hot Wheels cars, green ARMY men, a small puzzle, crayons, inflatable beach ball, seeds for planting in the spring, gardening gloves, etc.  So what did each completed bucket cost me?  Only about $5 for all of that!  It looks like I spent more, the girls were out of their minds excited when they received them, and they are practical for future playtime adventures at home!  I do wish your children many many happy birthdays to come, and may they be easy on the budget but high on the fun factor!!!  Drop me a line in the comment section and let me know how you've thought outside the box for a birthday party.  I'd love to hear your ideas too!   ~+ Katherine

YOU SHOULD HAVE SEEN THESE BABIES TWIRLING IN THE WIND AT THE PARK!

No comments: