Pages

Sunday, January 9, 2011

My Journey to Catholicism Part 4

So FORTY?  That's a mighty symbolic number in the Bible. I tried to run from it, and it found me.  I did have to "put in my time" as it were, at that first job.  I had forty sixth graders in a portable behind the school.  I had quite a range of issues in that first class, ADHD, ADD, emotionally handicapped children (with anger/violent issues), a child whose father had just been sent to the state penitentiary for selling drugs, and a physically handicapped child who had a chip on the shoulder about the handicap.  I realized my very first day with them that if I was not the face of Jesus to these children, I would lose them.  They needed love and structure.  I taught them all of the language arts, history, and religion for them and the seventh graders.  Ha!  Yes, you read that right...religion! I wasn't even Catholic!  I requested a meeting with Sister (our principal) and told her how concerned I was about my Biblical/theological knowledge and perhaps giving the children misinformation.  She just smiled and calmly said, "Just because I know you're here and it's on the forefront of your mind, I know you'll be fine.  I know you'll be conscientious.  I have faith in you...and if you ever have questions come to me and ask."

These nuns were very special.  They were the Carmelite Sisters from Los Angeles.  At the time, they were one of the last orders to wear the full habits, and they were very strict about their theological teachings.  I just loved being in their presence.  They showed me their love for Mary, the Mother of God, and the special relationship between Her and Jesus.  I felt She was always there with me holding my hand every step of the way.  The Carmelites were leading me to a relationship with Her...who would lead me to a deeper relationship with Him.

Upon receiving this teaching position that summer before the school year began, I immediately went to my local parish and asked to be a Catholic.  I couldn't deny it anymore.  The signs - the way I was led to this job and away from the Episcopal Church - were too strong to ignore or explain away.  The pastor met with me and instructed me to sign up for RCIA, the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults.  I was thrilled to be taking this step.  It felt right.  I knew it was right.  Once I began my teaching job, the pastor of that school met with me and asked me to transfer over to his parish.  I said I would, so I finished my RCIA classes at my new parish/school.

At Christmas of that first year in teaching, my husband and I would celebrate our fifth wedding anniversary.  I told my pastor, and he told me in a very matter-of-fact way that we were not married.  Ummm, excuse me?  What?  He explained that since we had only been married by a justice of the peace back in Phoenix five years earlier, our marriage was not recognized by the Church.  He suggested that we have a small ceremony on our anniversary - which would be a sort of renewal of our original vows but would be sacramental and recognized by the Church.  I thank God for his wisdom and guidance during that period every day.  It was no mistake I had been led to this school.

Our Wedding in the Church
Fifth Wedding Anniversary
December 18, 1994
I thought it was a wonderful idea.  It was a beautiful evening.  We had a small private ceremony in the chapel with few family members and friends, and when we came out of the chapel, my entire 6th grade class was there waiting for us.  They had come to surprise us!  They knew we would be attending Saturday night mass immediately following our wedding ceremony and they had arranged to perform a song and dance during mass just for us.  I could not believe these sixth grade students had been meeting for weeks behind my back, and without me knowing, to practice a song and dance just to celebrate our wedding in the Church.  Their song and dance took the place of our pastor's homily that evening, and I received my first Holy Communion as a Catholic that night as well.  It was an overwhelming night...so filled with joy and one I will remember forever!  I was on my way to becoming Catholic...I just had to wait until Easter to become confirmed.  It was a day I was anxiously awaiting!

Carmelite Sisters of the Most Sacred Heart of Los Angeles

No comments: